The No Cap-and-Trade Coalition is an alliance of organizationsÂ concerned about the devastating impact that a cap-and-trade scheme could have on American families, businessesÂ and the faltering US economy.
At the onset, cap-and-trade is projected to cost the average family over $1,700 per year in new energy costs, growing to over $6,000 per year by 2035. Independent analyses of cap-and-trade proposals project the loss of millions of additional jobs and trillions of dollars out of the nationâ€™s GDP.
The U.N. climate treaty being currently debated proposes a massive shift from American taxpayers to third-world countries by forcing the U.S. to make payments of billions of dollars in â€œclimate debtâ€. In addition, increased energy costs will drive manufacturing out of the United States, resulting in the loss of millions of jobs.
The Coalition intends to become a leading voice against state and federal cap-and-trade schemes, energy taxes and the Copenhagen Climate Treaty.
We will achieve our goals through public education, grass-roots organizing, paid media campaigns and direct lobbying efforts. Specifically, the coalition will:
- Sponsor a new website (NoCapAndTrade.com) where visitors can sign a petition against the Waxman-Markey cap and trade bill and the UNâ€™s proposed climate treaty expected to be debated in Copenhagen this December.
- Run radio and television ads in majorÂ markets.
- Â Bring a localized educational program to all areas of the state, featuring the new global warming documentary film, â€œNot Evil, Just Wrong.”
- Educate policymakers on the economic ramifications of proposed cap and trade schemes being currently debated.
- Organize and motivate the grassroots to provide a high-profile citizen voice against these proposals.
Current members of the coaltion include:
- Alliance for Worker Freedom
- Americans for Prosperity
- Americans for Tax Reform
- Associated Builders and Contractors
- Campaign for Liberty
- Carbon Truth Action International
- Cascade Policy Institute
- Center for the Defense of Free Enterprise
- Citizens Alliance for Responsible Energy
- Commonwealth Foundation
- Competitive Enterprise Institute
- Congress of Racial Equality (CORE)
- Freedom Action
- Freedom Foundation of Minnesota
- Heartland Institute
- Independence Institute
- James Madison Institute
- John Locke Foundation
- Kansas Policy Institute
- Mackinac Center for Public Polcy
- Minnesota Elk Breeders Association
- Minnesota Family Council
- Minnesota Free Market Institute
- Minnesota Majority
- Minnesota Property Rights Watch
- Minnesota State Cattlemen’s Association
- Minnesota Tea Party Patriots
- Montana Policy Institute
- National Center for Policy Analysis
- National Federation of Independent Businesses – Minnesota
- North Dakota Policy Council
- Ocean State Policy Institute
- Rio Grande Foundation
- Taxpayers League of Minnesota
- True North
- Western Tradition Partnership
If your organization is interested in joining the coalition, send an email to: membership [at] nocapandtrade [dot] com.